Sunday, August 07, 2005

The HID Kit is in!

Spent the whole evening on Saturday at Lai's shop. The HID kit dealer brought my set and proceeded to install the unit. It took the guy a whole two hours to install it. Firstly, the guy needed to use the mounting from the existing halogen bulbs. As the kit does not come in H4, he had to extract the existing mounting to install it on my Mazda.

Actually seeing the guy work, it should have taken him less than two hours, but because of the modification to the bulbs, it took him a little longer. He also glued the ballast shut to prevent any water from entering the units. There was a problem putting in the left side due to the obstruction from my air filter. Well, thankfully Lai was there and he made a bracket to mount the ballast next to my car battery.

The moment he asked me to switch the lights on, it was like hitting the magic button. The lights started off blue, then to white. They are so bright, it lights up even in daylight! I must say, I have tried to use different halogen bulbs and different wirings but nothing has ever succeeded in brigthening my headlights. At first I thought it was because of the small headlights on my Mazda. After installing the Xenon bulbs, how wrong I was. The headlights were perfect. It's just that the halogen bulbs do not cut it.

I had a little problem adjust the bulbs on the first day. It was either too high or too low. But just finished fiddling with the height adjustment and I think I should've gotten the right setting. I had someone putting on their high beam towards me. Guess it was a little too high, cause even the balcony on some houses were lighting up.

Now the headlights are so bright, they have made my foglights a little useless. Previously I had the Hella foglights installed onto each side of the front bumper. They were really useful when I was using the halogen bulbs. Now, the Xenon lights really overlaps the foglights. I still don't understand why some people drive with their foglights on when they are using Xenon headlights. Are they still not bright enough?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home