Sunday, December 11, 2005

The New Car

It's been a week since I've gotten the RX and I must say it does not have the overwhelming power that a turbo has, but it sure is comfortable. I took it up to Ipoh last weekend and the drive on the highway was pretty relaxing. Unlike my previous cars, which were low and had a low bassy exhaust, this car had the handling characteristics of what I would deem boring. Not that boring was bad, but it takes more getting used to than I thought.

The Civic was pretty quite on the highway. Apart from a little tyre noise that the car suffered because the tyres were badly worn, the car was actually quite. A little wind noise at speeds above 130km/h, but it was something that I could bear with. Had a little trouble holding my speed when it rained a little heavier. The car was aquaplaning, which was bad. Luckily I was already at the Simpang Pulai toll when the roads were covered with a layer of water, which was why I went to Klang yesterday to get a set of fresh tyres. They were already out of the Falken (semi-rain) tyres that I bought for my Mazda last year. I would switch them over but it's not the same size. As years go by, the automakers seem to want to make life more difficult for current car owners. They don't want you switching existing parts that you have on your old heap to the new car. Sure, the Civic had 16" rims, but the tyre size is 205/50/16. My Mazda's tyres are 205/45/16", which would affect my speed a little.

If you are still pondering the question, "What has he done to his car now?", well dare I say the car is still pretty much standard. When I was done with Klang, I went to a few accessory shops to find a bush kit for my Momo. To my surprise, the car is too new and there were no shops selling the particular bush kit for this model. The closest I got was an offer to import one from Singapore, which would set me back RM150, which is 200% more that what I would normally pay. I think I can live without the Momo for another few more months. I'm sure by next year they should be bringing in some soon, I hope.

Yes, I know I have broken the unthinkable rule, Henry in an Automatic transmission car and no turbo? Are pigs flying?

I wanted to get a turbo car, but it's either too pricey or too old. Wanted something a little more updated, which was why the Civic fitted the bill. The VTEC's nothing much to shout about. The only consolation is that the car is very comfortable to drive, though I have no freaking clue why I still get a lot of Toyota Vios drivers tailing me all the time. Why, do Vios drivers have something against Civics? Sorry Zoe, no pun intended.

I also thought yesterday was high time that the HID kit went back into service. After taking them out for more than a week, I believe they got the little rest they needed and were to be drafted back for active duty to serve my night driving needs. The Civic's headlamps are a lot more larger and the HIDs really does brighten up the roads. I would take a photo but no thanks to the thief who broke into my house and stole my camera, I'm left with my phone, which gets horrible resolution. I wanted to get another camera, but I think I'll wait for the insurance claims to come through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home