Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Income Tax Department, Banana Leaf and Baskin Robbins!

As lethal as the topic looks, that was pretty much what happened today. I had to go to the income tax department to make payments for my mum, and at the same time check whether I owed them any money. About three months ago, I received a statement from them demanding my EA form for 2003. As I was back in uni that year, it was impossible for me to produce an EA form for them. I had no income! These tax people just don't seem to get the message. I wrote them a letter explaining my situation to them in July and a few days later I get a statement telling me that I owed them 265 bucks for an analyzed income based on my previous earnings! I was thinking, didn't I just submit my letter to them in July? Why are they still sending me 'love letters'???

Anyhow, since I was going there to make a payment for my mum, thought I might as well go back there to see the status of my income tax. It pays to keep copies of documents that you submit to the Inland Revenue Board, a.k.a. money leechers! So I went up to the information counter, showed them the letter and showed them a copy of my letter that I submitted to them, mind you, by hand! After a few minutes of checking, the officer told me that the statement was sent before I submitted the letter. Talk about slow postal service! Now, I have a bone to pick with the people at the postal service in Malaysia! It takes a hell long of a time for them to get something delivered! But at the end of the day, I'm glad that I've settled this income tax issue, and am no longer worried by this, "I-owe-money-to-the-Inland-Revenue-Board-issue!"

Tonight, Wan Yee, Merv and I had banana leaf rice for dinner. Yumz, it was excellent and filling! Was totally stuffed up, and Merv had the idea of ice-cream for dessert! I just replied with, "Shimatta!" (Damn It! in Japanese). To make matters worst, there was an offer, buy two scoops and get the next scoop free! Talk about the attitude of being kiasu. Why take two, while you can have three? Hey, threesome's the way to go mate! I think I will make a mental note to myself, don't take irresistible offers, if your stomach can't take it! It was agony, though and interesting experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home