Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Twisty Roads of Bentong

The initial plan was to go down town for some lunch at Merv's shop and to pick up some new PS2 games, it was supposed to be an easy day. Had to bring Ka Seong over to Ah Keong's for a quote on his car's body repair. My dad woke me up in the morning saying that he'll need me to go pick him up from Bentong in the afternoon. At that moment, my blurry mind was still thinking about the sweet twisty roads and how much fun it would be to drive the 323 there. Apparently, my dad had other ideas. I had to take the underpowered 4WD as it just had a new battery unit fitted and needs to make up for under-use time. About a month ago the battery in the Kembara fell flat, suspect of under-usage. Don't blame me, it's not exactly the most exciting car to drive around. Overtaking's always a problem for me. I remembered back when I sold my Wira GSR before I left for Australia and I was confined to using the Kembara.

I'm so used to having ample horsepower that I never think twice before overtaking. See a slow moving car in front of me, I'd just squeeze out to the next lane and overtake it in an instant! Now there was once when I forgot that I was in this clumsy 1.3cc 4WD called the Kembara with an Automatic transmission. I saw a car driving leisurely and I just decided to overtake it. The moment I signalled right and put the pedal to the metal, all I heard from the engine was a loud grunt. The revs climbed all the way to the redline, which was 6,000 rpm but I wasn't going anywhere! It took quite a lot of effort to pull up beside the car that I was trying to overtake. Going uphill, made matters worst! As soon as I got side by side with the car I was trying to overtake, the driver of the other car looked at me and stepped on the gas. I was left at the sight of his rear tailights! Smoked! Then it finally hit me, I could use a little more turbo in my life! That was the reason why I've never bought an N/A car till today. From that day onwards, I've always been a firm believer that having excess horsepower under the hood will not hurt.

Now, back to the twisty roads... it was remarkable. Never thought that there were such nice back roads in Bentong. Once I cleared Karak Highway, it was off to the sleepy town of Bentong. It wasn't as busy as I'd expect it to be. But then again, it was a public holiday so that would explain the absence of cars in the town area. I made my way to rendezvous with my dad. That led me to this very nice twisty road all the way. It was right and left followed with the same twisty 'S' curves. I really wished that my 323 was there with me! Would be a good place to test the suspensions. Hmmmm, might return there another day to see how it handles in the curves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home