Thursday, April 07, 2005

Day of interviews

Finally went for two interviews yesterday. The first one was with MAA, Malaysian Assurance Alliance. Yes, dealing with insurance products. I have no idea what the company does and my resume was given to them by Y'ng Y'ng. Thanks to her, I got a call from the HR department on Friday. Hmm, a building next to a cemetary didn't sound too enticing at first. I remembered Wan Yee telling me that when he was there the first time, he parked in the open carpark. It was directly in front of a very large plot of cemetary land. The only thing seperating the tombstone from his car was a piece of string tied from one end to another signifying the borderline. Scary.

I arrived early for the interview, and headed straight for the carpark next to the cemetary. Plus it's Cheng Beng season, so I was thinking that the cemetary would be busier than usual as people would pay respect to the dead this particular month. I drove into the carpark and headed to one section where the was ample parking. I naively thought I was early and drove straight there. Next thing I saw was the string and after that the tombstone in front. Okay... no wonder there's ample parking here. I plonked the car in reverse and slammed on the gas. Went back towards the entrance and made a right turn to the other section of the carpark. The attendents were amused seeing how superstitious us Chinese people are. But then again, I believe avoidance is always better than cure.

The interview went well, though they really took their sweet time. I guess it's probably to get the candidates shaken up before the interview. Make you wait a little to shake your confidence, but that didn't work on me. I've been for a few interviews, and some were more intimidating than the panel of three that interviewed me. Though an interesting question did come up during the interview. The guy asked me how many girl friends that I have. I was thinking, how was this relevant to the position? Oh well, he was referring to how many female friends that I have. According to him, the more I have, the more suitable I'd be for the position. Duh! The pay for the job is high, but then again... I'm considering if this is indeed what I wanna be doing career wise. I told them that I have another interview with Mercedes Benz later in the afternoon. They really jumped and asked how soon can I start. Guess being called in for an interview by big names really shakes up the whole situation.

The interview with Mercedes Benz went pretty well. Honestly, I'm kinda caught in the crossroads. On one hand, I'd have a stable job with a well paying income. With Benz, the basic is small, but the earning capacity is really a lot better. There's no limit to how much I can earn here. But I'd really have to work for the leads. Selling cars isn't exactly everyone's cuppa tea. Though I somehow feel that being in the automotive industry is where I see myself in the future. My original intention was to apply for a marketing position in an automobile company. However, without the necessary knowledge and experience, it is hard to get my foot in the door. Starting in sales with Mercedes Benz would probably be the next best choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home