Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Preparing for my interview tomorrow

Right now, I'm at home preparing for my interview tomorrow. Got an email from the Senior Manager's PA saying that my interview has been moved to 0930hrs instead of 0830hrs. All the better, I could get a little more shut eye till the time comes to wake up. However, I doubt I'll be getting much sleep tonight.

The position that I've applied for is the Operations manager in FedEx, to be based in Johor. I have never in my life set foot in Johor and I have no knowledge what so ever of that place. But if I don't seize this opportunity now, who knows when will I ever have the chance to move up?

You see, being in a Professional position in FedEx is no fun. You are neither here nor there. You are neither front-liners, who come to you as a supervisor. You are not management, so you can't make management decisions. So, what the heck is this for? Who cares for 1st level escalations. When a customer wants to speak to your manager, you don't send a supervisor. I somehow think my company has failed to grasp this straight forward point.

Nevertheless, I just want to leave this department. I'm tired of doing all my manager's bidding. I'm like a slave who picks up the pieces after a mess has been created. To make matters worst, any new projects, will just be handed down to me. No input required, the manager tells you, you do it.

Now comes the scary part, I'm expected to do a 20 minute presentation for the interview tomorrow. It was supposed to be given 1 day before, but the Senior Manager decided to give me the topic one week in advance. I think he expects a whole lot from me. I've done the necessary scooping around, interviewing the current station manager, who will hopefully be my future partner. I've spoken with other station managers as well, who have given me countless morale support to give it my best. I know that I will give my best tomorrow morning.

However, the nagging thought on my head is that I will have to leave Bangsar and move to a foreign place. Now, I'm used to moving around, but that was in Australia. I've got a few friends in JB who say that they can help me locate a place to rent. No problems there. But it's just the thought of relocating that really bugs me. I love Bangsar and I love that we've just refurbished the room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home