Friday, October 29, 2004

The Quest for a Mahjong Set

After lunch this afternoon, decided that I needed to get myself a mahjong set. The 4 player set that my dad has just didn't cut it. I needed a 3 player mahjong set. Called Merv up and he directed me to Petaling Street, near Hotel Malaya. Got there, traffic was not that bad and the rain stopped. Perfect walking conditions in Chinatown. Parked the car and did a few browsing around the shops in the vicinity. Walked through the few shops, didn't see any mahjong sets. I could've sworn that 3 years ago, I would've seen at least one shop on the road that I walked on selling the mahjong sets. Now, it's almost impossible to find one!

Walked through the newly renovated Chinatown. Yes, it's been completed for about 2 years now, but I just got back from Brisbane in July, so it's still new to me. It's a lot cooler now with the shaded roof, complete with exhaust fans. Looks really nice and gives Chinatown a really new look. One thing didn't change though, there are still DVD peddlers running around asking, "What movie are you looking for?"

Now, back to my quest, as I was saying.. I could not find a single mahjong set in Petaling Street. I managed to find one shop which sold it, but the quality just didn't cut it, so I didn't buy it. Walked around the whole place, even to the shops around Hotel Malaya that Merv pointed out. Nada, zilch, zero, none...

After an hour of walking, decided that it was pretty pointless. Searched through the whole of Chinatown, there wasn't a place selling mahjong tiles. It's become extinct!

Hopefully, will have better luck tomorrow. Will be trying to find it around the Salak South area. The quest continues...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello henry. Saw ur blog about the mahjong. And I have walk the whole Chinatown and dint get a good quality one. Can u tell me where did u get the poh ma brand. This is my contact 012 3585651 or qqsim@yahoo.com thanks in advance :)

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home