Saturday, June 18, 2005

De Pastry Chef

You know, I am a little wary when I'm trying out new places. Especially cafes. I usually have my coffee while I surf the Net in Starbucks. Not many places offer a good selection of cakes and pastries, yes, not even Starbucks. I had a Black Forest cake there once and it was not something I would call a cake. I honestly think Secret Recipe is over-rated. But I've gotta hand it to them, think about cakes for birthday celebrations, everyone thinks about Secret Recipe.

It's been a crazy week and now that my Regional Manager has left KL, life's a little bit more relaxed for the moment. He's approved the purchase of 3 Dell Inspiron laptops for the Marketing department. Finally, some decent work machines! The office computers are so outdated, I think the schools without government funding would have better computers than us! How can a company operate on dialup? According to the Accounts department, they have topped up the credit by RM 100 two weeks ago. Last week, they topped up another RM 200. What a waste of resources. The first time I saw the Regional Manager, I told him, "You've gotta get better machines, mate!"

My Regional Manager is from Brisbane as well, totally agreed with me. He brought his laptop and couldn't even log onto the Net from the office. I also told him, "Get broadband. The company is expanding and everything's just gonna get bigger." I had trouble corresponding with HK because the internet account went dead. Jaring, the ISP suspended the email account and we were cut off from the rest of the world for a few days. How can such an important communication media not have top priority when we have offices in HK, various parts of China, Taiwan, US, Phillipines and Thailand? He's also approved the application of Streamyx and the installation of a wireless 4-port router in the office.

Now, back to the cafe... I have been moved from the dry goods section to the food section. From next week onwards, I'll be in-charge of frozen vegetables, frozen seafood, frozen meat and various food items. This also includes the confectionary arm, which deals in cakes. So, after a long meeting on a Saturday morning, we went to a place called De Pastry Chef in Menjalara, Kepong. I was not expecting such a place in Kepong... but then again I hardly venture into that part of KL.

The cafe looked very nice, it felt like one of those Taiwanese cake houses. The atmosphere, the cakes, the pastries made you just want to stay and continue to eat and eat. Honestly, their standards are really comparable , or should I say better than Secret Recipe. Besides offering a good seletion of cakes and pastries, they also have a lunch menu. Tried the Fried Kampung Chicken with fried rice and it was delicious. Maybe I was hungry but nevertheless the food was good. Had a piece of chocolate cake, filled with walnuts and it was really nice. Yumz.

Would I return? Definitely!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home