Tuesday, April 24, 2007

How fast time passes when you do not notice it

It was a wierd day yesterday, after attending a wake. We found out on Sunday afternoon from Yen's brother that her granduncle had passed away. I must say, it's really strange to have meet someone for the first time and to know a month later that he has passed away. He was 88 years old. My grandfather was 84 years old when he passed away.

My condolence to Sarah and her family too for their loss. Her father also passed away over the weekend. The department gathered some collection and was brought to the funeral by Joyce. I could not attend as I was at Yen's granduncle's wake.

I cannot explain the feeling that came over me. I mean, it's been a few years since I last attended a funeral. I started observing around and noticed that some neighbours' gates had a red cloth tied to it. Then one of the funeral parlour workers brought a whole bunch of joss sticks and planted it opposite the house. It felt numbing and I didn't move once I sat down on the table. A lot of them were Yen's relatives or parents' friends.

As I was sharing with Yen, the last funeral that I went for was Uncle Jaya's... Ivan's father. He was a friend of my family and they were a close group. It was scary and at the same time it brought a lot of people together. Many friends of my parents that I have not seen in years due some fueds, many of their children who have all grown up. I could still remember back when we used to run around the neighbourhood carrying battery powered water guns and spraying each other. We'd go for the potluck dinners, eat quickly and then it was out to the roads with our ice cold water filled guns.

So 10 years or so later, we've all grown a lot older and matured a lot more. How fast time passes when you do not notice it. I guess it's true that you never know when you will leave this world. Look at the latest Virginia Tech Uni killing, what could have drove a person to murder? Those people were caught at the wrong place and at the wrong time. Tomorrow, you could go out to a store or the bank, minding your own business and something could happen. There's no way to cheat fate. When your time has come, you'll have to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home