Monday, April 16, 2007

if we were on board a ship, I would lead the mutiny

Oooo, received a call from the bank today and that signalled Dell to start production of my new laptop. They have this neat software that allows you to track the progress of your laptop as they build it. Kinda reminds me of FedEx's online tracking.

So, they have given me an estimated time of delivery, which is on April 23, 2007. So the first stage is "Order Received", the second stage is "Work in Progress", which all happened on today. The next is "Manufacturing Build Complete" and then followed by "Shipped From Factory".

Now according to Chin Hooi, he got his laptop within 4 days after the order was received. Now, I'm going to see how fast they can complete the whole delivery. Boy, oh boy... this is really exciting. Just counting the days before the laptop is delivered to me.

So today, just when I thought the dust would settle, I go find out that my boss is on leave. No one can believe it when they read her email. Here she goes telling people not to take leave and she herself is doing it. I tell you, if we were on board a ship, I would lead the mutiny. Unfortunately we are in the new age world today and we have rules. So that means no mutiny, but I can still dream.

I just caught 300 over the weekend. Some say the movie was boring because it was shot using a green screen. But I really loved the film. The movie had all the right elements, the cool "Matrix slow-mo" fight scenes, killer moves and 300 Spartans ready to die for king and country. You have gotta love the attitude and funny puns used in the lines when talking to the enemy. Now, that's my kind of attitude. Really, these men were all clear on one goal. They knew what they had to do, no matter what. These Spartans were born and bred to do one thing, which is to fight and to kill. It's amazing how they are trained to be the ultimate killing machine. Give a Spartan a gun today, and I think he'd be the ultimate marine.

So the boss is on leave for two days, gone from the office. If a mutiny were to happen, this would be the perfect time. The staff are anxious and everyone's asking why is the whole ship rocking? Are we taking in water? Is the ship sinking? Sigh, it was no wonder the Sr Manager was in the HQ today. Her rounds keep things in check so that no mutiny were to happen to one of her "ships" with her captain away. Sorta like an Admiral taking command of the flag ship while the Captain is on shore leave. It really makes everyone of us question her leadership. One minute you are telling us not to go on leave, the next you are on leave yourself while the rest of us are suffering here everyday operating with minimal manpower.

I'm really counting down the days before the Green bottled beer factory calls me in to sign my Offer Letter. How I wish it would be soon... At least in the new company, if I was stressed out, I'd just go the lounge and drown my sorrows with a nice cold one while watching TV on the two flat 42" plasma screens. Now that's what I call an employee's lounge. That's where you can really relax and let the day's stress just roll off your shoulders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home