Monday, February 07, 2005

First Dive.. in a pool!

Woke up at 9.15am this morning. This time, I am very sure I set the clock on my cellphone back to Malaysian time! Got downstairs and made myself a cup of tea. Was reading the newspapers when Rudy sms-ed saying that he'll be leaving his place to pick Zoe up and E.T.A. 15 minutes. Got too carried away reading newspapers and forgotten that the time was almost 9.30am. Ran straight for the showers and when I was about to step in Wan Yee called to inform me that Rudy will be late. He had locked himself out of the car and is in search of his spare key. I said, "Again??" This isn't his first time searching for his spare key. The last time he did that was when he decided to take emergency leave from work and you guys guessed it, he didn't find it.

Wan Yee called to say that he'll be picking Zoe and I up instead. We went ahead with breakky and then proceeded to Rudy's place. Tried to pick the lock, but without my faithful tool, the long metal ruler, I wasn't successful. We left his car and headed for KL. Was affraid that there might be a traffic situation leading to Wisma Cosway, but fortunately for us traffic was light.

Got there and Zoe forgot which floor the pool was located. We tried 17, 18 and 19. She was certain that one of these had to be the pool. Fortunately for us, an old lady was in the lift with us and she told us that the pool is on the 16th floor! Went back down again and met up with Choy, our newly appointed instructor. Paid him the cash and we went to get ready for our pool session. Interestingly enough, I would have thought that the first day involved classroom and boring lectures. We dove straight into the water instead! Cool!

The first thing he had us do was to put on wetsuits. Small for me... OK... Dammit, it was freaking tight! Wan Yee and Rudy had XS. Hahhahahaaha. It was ok for Rudy but for Wan Yee, well you can imagine. I initially had a problem getting into that small suit, but after a little manuevering and sucking in that gut.. it was no problem. Just reminding myself that I should lose more weight. But with the Chinese New Year around the corner, I don't forsee that happening anytime soon.

We familiarized ourselves with the tank, the regulator and the BCD. According to Zoe, it's known as the Bouancy Control Device. Heck, it wasn't important that we didn't know the ancronyms, just that we learn to breath with the regulator. Man, what Zoe said is true, you'd get a little light headed after puffing compressed air. Sweet! We did a few exercises underwater, the hand signals, breathing, controlling our bouyancy, equalizing our ear pressure and learning to put on and kick with the fins. Man, I used to hate swimming when I was younger because whenever I got to the deep end, my ears starts to ache! Now I know that we have to freaking equalize our pressure and it hurt no more! Nuts! Wasted all the time when I hated diving deep into the deep end. Today, I loved swimming into the deep end and it was especially fun when I did not need to surface for air. I could've gone on and on just swimming underwater. I can't wait for our next lesson scheduled in two week's time!

After the lesson we showered and changed and Choy thought us how to disassemble the equipment and how to put them back. It is as easy as A-B-C. Hmm, not sure if I'll still remember everything in two weeks.

Just got back from Midvalley. Went there with Rudy to pick up Rizal's pressie. Getting in was tough, but then again there seems to be less cars than a usual busy shopping night. Maybe some people have left for their hometowns already. This just goes to show how many out-of-towners are living in KL! Go back home dammit! Stop clogging our roads! They should have special lanes for people born in KL. Yea, I bet that would lighten up traffic a little. In my dreams...

Oh well, this concludes the week. Was really looking forward for the scuba lessons and it's been a great first class. I'm starting to lose all the doubts that I had, but when we were given the dive table, I went, "Uh-oh..." It really looks complicated and we're supposed to calculate before we dive? I'm so going to be dead...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home